Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.

- Ambrose Redmoon


The way is not in the sky. The way is in the heart.

-Buddha




Thursday, November 10, 2011

Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome and HOPE

So we all know how the story ends.  High risk doctor informs us that our little baby boy will essentially be born with half a heart.  Amnio is done...and the stages of morning begin.  It was only about 3 hours between leaving the high risk doc and arriving at the pediatric cardiologist but if felt like a lifetime.  My parents made the 4 hour trip from PA to be with me.  It was such a blessing to have them there.  We were not really presented with much hope from the high risk office.  She really could not explain HLHS to us or give us any hope that anything could be done.  She was grossly misinformed.  I walked into the cardiologist office feeling like I was walking to the electric chair.  He took us into his office and asked some general questions.  Then with the warmest smile on his face he said..."If this is HLHS..I have places to send you where they can fix your son's heart.  Its not going to be easy, but he can life a normal, healthy life".  I am pretty sure that was the first time we took a breath since the week began.  I knew at that moment I would go anywhere, pay anything, see anyone to give my baby boy a fighting chance!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment